It is important that we have a plan in place for our pets in case an emergency arises. An unexpected event doesn’t just have to refer to natural occurrences such as an earthquake. It can be a family emergency such as an owner being hospitalized or a house fire. Do you have a plan in place for life’s unexpected emergencies and caring for your pets? It is extremely beneficial for you and your pet to have a plan prior to anything occurring because in the event of an emergency it is difficult to formulate a plan with all the emotional stress of the situation. Here are some steps you can take to prepare:
- Be sure your pets vaccinations are always up to date and create a folder that includes:
- Rabies certificate and vaccine history.
- List of any current medications and where they are located
- List of any allergies
- Your phone number, veterinarian’s business card with contact information and a family or friend contact number.
- Instructions on feeding your pet.
- Photos of your pets with name and birth date on back.
*Be sure to place entire folder in a waterproof bag.
2. Prepare your pet first aid kit
3. At least a weeks worth of food as well as bottled water set aside.
4. Blankets and towels in a water proof bag.
5. A supply of extra litter with litter tray and waste bags.
6. Pet carriers for all the pets in the household.
7. Extra collars, leashes or harnesses.
8. Research local emergency shelters and know which ones accept pets and their pet protocol.
9. In the event of a family emergency be sure to have a family member, friend or neighbor that you can call upon to come to your home or take to their home to be cared for. This person should be familiar with your pet and where you keep all your pets supplies and medical history. You would want this person to have a spare key to your house in case you need to leave before they get there. It is very important that this is a person you trust in your home and with your furry kids.
10. Know how your pet reacts in stressful situations and be sure to let whoever is taking care of your pet what to expect. For example, if your pet hides under a bed when anxious.
Leave A Comment