Senior Animals Have Special Needs
As animals move into their senior phase of life, they experience changes that are very similar to aging humans. Diseases and conditions that are commonly known to affect older people also affect our canine and feline companions like: kidney, heart, and liver disease, tumors, cancer, diabetes, depression, arthritis, thyroid conditions, hormonal problems, neuroses and loss of sensory perception. Understanding these changes and how you can provide for your pet’s needs are essential to their quality of life.
Senior Wellness Exams Provide Hidden Answers
Studies have shown that as many as 20% of senior dogs that appear healthy upon physical examination have an underlying disease. Once symptoms appear, the conditions may be too difficult or costly to diagnose or treat. A Semi-Annual Senior Wellness Exam can include laboratory tests so sensitive they can detect the onset of diseases and conditions early, when treatment and prevention are most effective.
Senior Wellness Examination is recommended every 6 months for our senior pets. Pet’s age more rapidly than humans in a six month time span they age 1 – 4 human years. Pet’s are considered of senior age at 7+ years if they weigh over 50lbs and 9+ pounds if they weigh under 50 pounds.
Vaccinations Needed: DHP (3 year), Rabies (3 year), Lyme (1 year) and Lepto (1 year)
Prevention: Monthly Heartworm and Flea & Tick prevention are recommended by your veterinarian.
Senior Wellness Prevention Panel: The panel includes a CBC, Chemistry, Thyroid Check, Urinalysis, Accuplex 4 and Fecal Examination.
- CBC is a blood sample and this will detect anemia, leukemia, infection and inflammation.
- Chemistry Profile detects liver, kidney, pancreas, muscle and bone disorders.
- Thyroid Function detects Hyperthyroid and Hypothyroid.
- Accuplex4 detects Lyme, Heartworm test, Anaplasmosis and Ehrlichia.
- Urinalysis detects kidney disease, protein loss and diabetes.
- Fecal Examination Test detects Hookworm, Whipworm, Roundworm, Coccidia, Giardia and Tapeworm.
Senior Wellness Program is a preventative method, focusing on senior health. Many diseases can be caught and diagnosed early; before they become serious problems, adding years to your pet’s life!
Leave A Comment